Unfortunately during times of crisis, people often times try to take advantage of one another. Scammers are trying their hardest to profit off the uncertainty of the Covid-19 pandemic. We decided it would be best to create a running list of all the fraud topics we received pertaining to the virus so our members have the knowledge to protect themselves and their loved ones. Be sure to check back often!
State of Ohio Covid-19 website: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/
Stimulus Check Information:
- IRS: Economic impact payments, what you need to know: Information from the IRS about the stimulus checks from the government, including who qualifies and how the money will be delivered.
- IRS: Social Security recipients will automatically receive economic impact payments: Information for those who receive Social Security.
Social Security Scams:
- FTC: Avoiding SSA scams during COVID-19: Information from the FTC on how to protect yourself from Social Security scams during the pandemic.
General Scam Information:
- FTC Blog: Coronavirus scams, Part 2 : A brief overview of current Coronavirus scams seen by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Forbes: Coronavirus Scams: Watch Out For These Efforts To Exploit The Pandemic : Overview of different scams with real life examples.
- Dayton 24/7 Now: Ohio Attorney General warns against potential scams: Scams the Ohio Attorney General has seen in regards to Covid-19.
- FTC: Thinking critically about Coronavirus news and information: Tips on how to sort through all the information and identify what is a scam and what isn't.
- FTC: Grandparent scams in the age of Coronavirus: Ways scammers will take advantage of older people, especially grandparents.
- WHO: Beware of criminal pretending to be WHO: Information from the World Health Organization on scammers sending emails pretending to be WHO.
- Police warn of scam COVID-19 text message: Information from a police department in Maine with a scam text message they believe is a phishing attempt.
- BBB warns about Venmo scams where crooks send money 'by accident': Scammers are using digital payment methods to send money 'accidentally' and asking unsuspecting users to send it back so they can steal their information.
- Live Coronavirus Map Used to Spread Malware: An overview of how a fake map is used to spread malware to users computers.
- COVID-19 Map: The official global coronavirus map from John Hopkins University.
- SEC: Look Out for Coronavirus-Related Investment Scams: Information from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on investment scams they are seeing.
- FTC & FDA: Warnings sent to sellers of scam Coronavirus treatments: A list of companies falsely selling Covid-19 treatments.
- FDA: Fraudulent Coronavirus Disease 2019 Products : A current list from the FDA of companies selling fraudulent Covid-19 products.
- FTC: Not every COVID-19 testing site is legit: How to spot a fake Covid-19 testing site.